Hello and welcome to nurdle,org.

 

Who are we?

Nurdle.org is a not-for-profit initiative that has been created to help raise awareness in plastics pollution and work towards a circular economy by promoting sustainable recycling opportunities.

Our main focus is in providing free tools and resources that can be used by teachers, parents and organisations to engage and educate children of all ages. 

 

What do we do?

Our current strategy is to provide educational material and access to portable recycling equipment to allow participants to engage in STEM activities that demonstrate plastics reuse and recycling. By being directly involved in these hands-on activities, participants gain a greater understanding of plastics usage and recycling, as well as how plastics relate to everyday life. This knowledge can then underpin future activities and promote positive behaviours relating to plastics usage.

 

Why do we do this?

The prevalence of single use plastics and the modern disposable lifestyle have resulted in an abundance of plastic waste that is slowly choking our planet. Is has been said the every single piece of plastic that has ever been created is still in existence, and that whilst many recycling initiatives have been implemented only 9% of waste plastics are actually recycled. This means that the other 91% of waste plastic is simply discarded to end up in land-fills or worse as pollution.

Plastics pollution has been identified as secondary only to climate control in terms of environmental impact and is something that needs urgent and immediate reform.


How does the Nurdle project work?

The Nurdle project provides free information and resources to schools and other interest groups. This information is presented as a process that follows the plastics lifecycle: Participants are encouraged to collect, identify, sort, segregate and process waste plastics into new raw materials such as plastic shards and nurdles. This raw material can then be used to make new products using several techniques including molding, fusing and 3D printing. These techniques can be carried out in a classroom environment by the participants.

Following the plastics lifecycle provides the opportunity to cover various curriculum related learning outcomes including STEM, Environmental, Business, Safety and Art and can be used for both short and long term learning objectives. It will also easily integrate into existing environmental initiatives.

Participants are engaged in various physical and practical activities to scaffold this knowledge both at school, at home and within the community. Activities can be used to augment existing learning or provide the basis for further related learning initiatives.


Support

All activities Include educational material that is appropriate for each age group. Supporting educational resources can be used by teachers and educators as well as by other interest groups that may benefit. Support is provided right here in our forums directly by us as well as by the wider community.

The forums also serve as a hub to connect participants, both locally and globally, so that they can support each other and share their experiences with implementing the nurdle project and other related initiatives. 

 

Nurdle.org